Monday, June 11, 2012

Strawberry Banana Summer Porridge

This is a tasty post-workout meal. It has loads of fiber and nutrients, and it's really filling. I found something similar to this recipe on Pinterest, and it was the inspiration for my recipe. I made some adjustments, though, most notably making this a non-dairy recipe. You could do it with milk if you prefer, but I really think coconut is the tastiest option. One thing I really like about this recipe is that you can add pretty much any "mix-ins" that you want. Strawberry and banana is just a combo that I can eat often without getting sick of it, and strawberries are cheap and delicious in June. I also like that it's in a mason jar because it makes you feel stylish and eco-friendly while you're eating your meal-in-a-jar.

Strawberry Banana Summer Porridge
1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup oatmeal, roughly ground using a mini-prep food processor
1 cup coconut or almond milk
1 packet stevia (about 1 tsp)
1/4 tsp vanilla
heavy pinch salt
2-4 strawberries, chopped
1/2 banana, sliced
1 tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine all ingredients except fruit and nuts in a pint mason jar. Place in refrigerator overnight to chill, allowing oats to soften and chia seeds to swell. Add fruit and nuts either immediately before eating or before taking porridge to gym, work, on errands. (I add mine in the morning before work.)

Nutrition Info
363 calories
61 g carbs
13 g fat
10 g protein
17 g sugar
12 g fiber

Other tasty add-ins that I plan to try:
  • Mango cubes, dried kiwi, and shredded, unsweetened coconut with macadamia nuts
  • Blueberries, 1 tsp almond butter, cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • Apples, red grapes, almonds, cinnamon
  • Blackberries and 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • Peanut butter (1 tbsp), 2 tsp cocoa powder, 1/2 banana
  • Cocoa powder, almond extract, almonds, coconut extract, dried coconut (like an Almond Joy!)
If you try any of my add-in ideas, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment